Strathcona County Rural Early Childhood Coalition
Who we are:
The first five years of a child’s life are the most critical period in development and have a lifelong impact on learning, health, work, relationships and well-being. Studies show that children tend to perform better in strong, supportive communities. Nurturing and responsive relationships with caregivers, as well as strong connection to community, creates the best environment to develop the skills children need for life.
The Early Childhood Coalition engages families, community members and organizations on behalf of young children (prenatal to six years). Coalition members raise public awareness about the importance of the early years, and help to identify community needs, issues and opportunities in order to improve supports for young children and their families. By working together we can help children reach their full potential.
Strathcona County Early Childhood Coalition members include:
– Alberta Health Services
– Ardrossan Family Centre
– Elk Island Catholic School
– Elk Island Public School
– Mindful Moments
– Robin Hood Children Services
– Strathcona County
– Family and Community Services
– Recreation, Parks and Culture
– Strathcona County Library
– Strathcona County Library Bookmobile
– The Meadows Early Learning and Childcare
Where we’ve been:
We are part of a rich history of establishing the foundations of health and well-being in the early years with the collaborative support of parents, families, caregivers, and our community.
We create, develop and implement an annual Coalition Community Action Plan (CCAP). The action plan includes measurable goals and provides details on the actions and activities that will contribute towards achieving the goals. The CCAP focuses on increasing awareness and understanding of early childhood development and available resources, engaging community, collaborating with stakeholders and building our capacity.
– Family Fun Festivals
– Workshops for Early Childhood Educators including Play, Outdoor play and more
– Communication Campaigns including “I am” and Smile Cards
– Help Me Build My Brain Parenting Conference
– And our Early Childhood App
The Early Childhood App helps you enjoy the most up-do-date information, on the go!
You’ll find information about:
– Early childhood programs and activities in Strathcona County
– Services for families of young children including childcare, preschools and other family supports
– Parent Link
– Social/emotional, physical and cognitive development of children from newborn to five years old
– Recreation and parks information
Where we’re going:
Come join us as we continue to create and sustain positive change for young children and families. Let’s build a foundation of health and well-being in the early years that will last a lifetime.
Our membership is open to all of the community and often includes parents, grandparents, Early Learning and Care providers, educators, health care workers, librarians, non-profit organizations, entrepreneurs, community groups, and service providers.
Contact us to learn more about our Coalition and how to be involved.
GET IN TOUCH
Be active in the early years of your child and in the community!Be part of the group of parents, caregivers, professionals who take small steps to be engaged or If you would like to contribute to the Coalition or receive more information, please send us an email. We want to hear your opinion! Get in Touch with Your Local Coalition!