South West Early Years (SWEY)
Who we are:
South West Early Years is a group of parents, educators, librarians, health and child care providers, service organizations, and other community partners who collaborate to share Early Development Instrument (EDI) data and build capacity in the community to enrich the development of children ages 0 to 5 in Southwest Edmonton.
Our Mission is to:
– Inspire Momentum about the importance of the early years
– Improve Outcomes in early development for children in Southwest Edmonton
– Build Capacity in the community to support early childhood development in Southwest Edmonton and ensure long-term sustainability of this support and of SWEY
The values that drive us include:
– Collaboration and cooperation in the community in sustained commitment to supporting children in reaching their full potential
– Responsive leadership
– Nurturing and inclusive relationships and universal accessibility
Where we’ve been:
Our 7th Annual Southwest Family Fun Day will be in June 2020! With over 700 families in attendance each year, we provide FREE information on programming and encourage community connections. Businesses, agencies & community groups come together to share resources and connect with local families in a fun and interactive environment.
SWEY has been hosting and/or co-hosting ‘I am a Parent’ workshops twice annually since 2013 for parents, primary caregivers, and professionals! Included is FREE lunch & Child Care. Our next event will be on October 19, 2019.
SWEY produces monthly newsletters: ‘It Takes A Village’ Newsletter is available online, on social media, and upon request to email address which subscribe!
Check out the website and Events Calendar at www.earlychildhoodedm.ca
Where we’re going:
We are committed to making a positive difference for young children in Southwest Edmonton. Anyone with an interest in promoting and supporting early childhood development is welcome to attend our meetings, join us at events to lend a hand, find us on Facebook, and/or be on our email list to receive news, parent information, upcoming event invites, new resource links, and news of what we are up to!
Our goals are to:
– Inspire a momentum in Southwest Edmonton about the importance of the early years and the community’s role in both supporting its children in their early years and encouraging ideal early childhood development
– Improve early development outcomes for children in Southwest Edmonton by reducing or eliminating the circumstances that contribute to children experiencing difficulty in meeting developmental milestones as they enter Kindergarten
– Build capacity and knowledge in parents, caregivers, preschool educators, policy makers and community members across Southwest Edmonton about how to recognize and enhance early childhood development for the children in their care
GET IN TOUCH
Be active in the early years of your child and in the community!Be part of the group of parents, caregivers, professionals who take small steps to be engaged or If you would like to contribute to the Coalition or receive more information, please send us an email. We want to hear your opinion! Get in Touch with Your Local Coalition!