Mill Woods Early Childhood Coalition (MWECC)
Who we are:
Mill Woods Early Childhood Coalition (MWECC) is a group of human service providers, schools, childcare providers, community groups and individuals working together to promote the importance of the early years in our communities and helping to ensure services and programs are in place and are accessible locally for all families with young children.
The MWECC area covers all Mill Woods communities and extends to include Ellerslie, Summerside, and the Meadows areas of Edmonton.
Where we’ve been:
MWECC was originally formed in 2007 as the Children’s sub-committee of the Mill Woods Mapping and Beyond committee which was formed in 2005. In May 2012 the sub-committee name changed to Mill Woods Early Childhood Coalition (MWECC) as it is now known.
– Fall 2011 – Early Development Instrument (EDI) data for Mill Woods area released to MWECC to share with community.
– July 2012 –The Coalition hired an assistant to support the role of the group and build capacity.
– September 2012 – ‘Airing the Laundry’ Community Consultation developed and used at Community League Day. This simple and easy technique to engage parents in conversations was also used at Strathcona Farmers Market with the other southside Edmonton Coalitions in January 2013.
– November 2012 – Special Meeting held to extend membership and share data with Community Partners. Agenda and presentation template created for future public meetings.
– March 2013 – Presentation to Mill Woods Public Health Centre to all centre staff. Presentation template created for future public meetings.
– April 2013 – First publicity developed for MWECC including poster and leaflet.
– May 2013 – Completion of first Mill Woods Early Childhood Coalition Strategic Plan 2013 – 2015.
– June 2013 – Leefield Community Consultation – extremely successful meeting with parents of young children in the Leefield community, one of our most vulnerable areas according to EDI research. More than 30 parents attended this informal event to share and discuss EDI findings for this community. We hope to build upon in other communities.
– July 2013 – Series of I AM postcards developed with support from the Centre for Family Literacy and Coalition members. MWECC felt it was important that the language of these postcards was simple enough to reach all members of our community without losing their powerful message. Translated versions will be developed in future as required.
MWECC has since carried out various consultations within the community regarding the needs of parents with young children, developed its messaging and sharing of information, worked collaboratively with other coalitions and has developed a strategic plan to guide its actions over the next few years.
Where we’re going:
Please join us! Membership is open to any organization or individual who are committed to the vision of MWECC and wants to lend their support to the group. Collectively we will consider ways for more members of the community to be involved and contribute to the work of this group.
GET IN TOUCH
Be active in the early years of your child and in the community!Be part of the group of parents, caregivers, professionals who take small steps to be engaged or If you would like to contribute to the Coalition or receive more information, please send us an email. We want to hear your opinion!