Central Peace Early Childhood Coalition
Who we are:
Central Peace Early Childhood Coalition (CPECC) is a collection of people representing many parts of our community, who share a passion for our children! We work with community groups, program providers, other support agencies, and individuals to assess community needs and assets, and to help to develop, implement, and promote activities and opportunities in our communities that will support our families and nurture the development of our youngest population.
We know that it takes a village to raise our children so that they can achieve their greatest potential. We strive to support our families, as well as other care providers, our early childhood educators, and our communities to be family-friendly and child-focused. We connect people, programs, and organizations to one another. We work to inform the general public on the importance of the early years and encourage community engagement in early childhood activities.
Where we’ve been:
Our Coalition, like Coalitions many across Alberta, emerged during the ECMap Research Project conducted by the University of Alberta and the Alberta Government. This study looked at the skills and development of children in kindergarten in five areas (domains) – physical health and well-being, emotional maturity, social competence, language and cognitive skills, and communication skills and general knowledge – and results demonstrated that children in our region were struggling in some of these areas.
Community groups and individuals came together to collectively identify ways in which we can support our communities and our families as we raise and nurture our children. We recognize that healthy communities support our families and we work on an ongoing basis to raise awareness of the unique needs of our children.
Our work includes:
– Promotion of resources and programming provided by existing agencies like Parent Link
– Where communities lack early years programs, we help to secure funding to bring early years programs to these areas
– Introduce and maintain the little libraries throughout our communities that offer books to read, borrow or keep with no membership and at no charge
– Distribute free books through welcome baby bags and at events as a way to promote literacy
– Science or craft kits in partnership with our local municipal libraries to inspire curiosity in our children
– Host interactive engaging activities at local events as a way to promote our Coalition and inspire children and their care providers
– Partner with other groups to bring educational opportunities for parents, care providers, community members and professionals to our area, and help
– Cover costs associated with attending these opportunities elsewhere, to ensure that our educators and caregivers have the latest science-based information to guide them in their work of raising great and capable, confident, happy and healthy kids!
Where we’re going:
We continue to support our communities in the ways that we have in the past, and continue to advocate for increased services to our area. We are excited to help bring workshops, activities and information to our families! We are grateful for our many partnerships and recognize that our partnerships have been critical to our energy, motivation, activity, sustainability, and in working toward accomplishing our mandate.
We are always looking to expand our membership and develop new partnerships, as well as to share the valuable information on the early years with new parents, grandparents, and the wider community! We welcome business and government, health and education, parents and anyone interested in supporting our young families and wanting to help make our communities great places for our children!
We encourage you to connect with us by email or through Facebook or find us at one of our events to learn more! Everyone is welcome at our Coalition meetings!
GET IN TOUCH
Be active in the early years of your child and in the community!Be part of the group of parents, caregivers, professionals who take small steps to be engaged or If you would like to contribute to the Coalition or receive more information, please send us an email. We want to hear your opinion! Get in Touch with Your Local Coalition!