Calgary North West Central Coalitions
Who we are:
All children from conception to six are supported by family and community to reach their optimal development.
The NWC Coalitions utilize current research and resources to support grassroots initiatives in the community for optimal child development and family support. Through a collaborative and inclusive structure the Coalition provides opportunities for parents, caregivers and professionals to further develop their capacity to support children 0-6 within the North West Central communities of Calgary.
Where we’ve been:
The Calgary West Coalition formed at the start of the ECMap research project. After the project ended, we decided to share resources with Calgary Northwest and Calgary North Central. Each Coalition has a coordinator with a different expertise and together we are better able to serve the needs of Calgary’s Northwest, West and Central communities.
Our focus has been on improving Social and Emotional outcomes for families by providing information through articles published in community newsletters, on social media and at workshops. We also attend various community events. We provide the ECD Professional community with Early Development Instrument (EDI) information, books, and activities to support each of the EDI domains. We have also engaged the professional community through networking opportunities and workshops.
Where we’re going:
Calgary Northwest, West and North Central Coalitions continue to work together and are focusing our efforts on Communication Skills and General Knowledge, as well as Language and Cognitive Development.
Our current projects include:
– Promoting the Importance of Play through Loose Parts Bins in 3 neighbourhood green spaces
-Working with seniors to educate them on their important role with the young people in their lives
– Developing EDI Packs for Early Learning Centres that include domain specific activities that centres can easily incorporate into their curriculum
– Advocating for children through the I’m Voting for Kids campaign
– Creating a Parent Advisory Committee
– Creating a Medical Professional Networking Committee
– Working with Medical Professionals to offer a Teddy Bear Clinic to families
– Improving our web presence to better interact with families and professionals.
GET IN TOUCH
Be active in the early years of your child and in the community!Be part of the group of parents, caregivers, professionals who take small steps to be engaged or If you would like to contribute to the Coalition or receive more information, please send us an email. We want to hear your opinion! Get in Touch with Your Local Coalition!