Calgary Deep South
Calgary Deep South Coalition
Who we are:
Calgary Deep South Coalition is a strong community of committed residents and organizations that work together to help all young children in Calgary Deep South to reach their full potential in all five developmental domains measured by the EDI. “We envision neighbourhoods where all children from conception to six are fully supported by their families and their community to reach their full potential.”
Is to help build a strong community that supports families in providing young children with nurturing, caring environments for healthy development.
Where we’ve been:
KEY DEEP SOUTH COALITION PROJECT OBJECTIVES:
• Build a strong action focus on Early Child Development awareness and its community impact, support, collective impact and improved outcomes for children.
• Incorporate elements of thinking about collective action, the importance of relationships, and considerations around community and kids’ behaviour.
• Calgary Deep South Coalition collects the projects impact, experience amongst community participants to engage future opportunities and challenges.
• To share information about resources and services available for families with young kids.
• To share with the families: key messages around early childhood development, specifically about areas of concern and how to access support if needed.
Where we’re going:
LOOSE PARTS PLAY BIN
Engage parents in active Play with their children & share knowledge & research results focusing on ECDespecially in: play (active, outdoor, unstructured and risky play), reading (off screen time) and brain development. Share the Coalition idea and attract Play Ambassadors.
Increase knowledge about ‘Loose parts’ theory – best play comes from things that allow children to play in many different ways and on many different levels. Loose Parts Play ideas can be more stimulating and engaging, promote and support imaginative play, and allows children to develop their own ideas and explore their world.
TEDDY BEAR CLINIC/ AHS READ WITH ME
Teddy Bear Clinic – at South Health Campus & Shawnessy Rec Centre:
– bring volunteer health professionals who interact with children at set-up doctor’s station as kids bring their stuffy as a patient
– sharing resources and interacting with Parents at ‘waiting room’ where play stations are set up
Taking part in books distribution within assigned health centres.
Provide Coalition EDI resources for AHS so nurses can share them at the vaccination time with families.
SOUTH NETWORK NIGHT
Evening free workshop opportunity with speakers focusing on ECD; good location and potluck supper
– maximize collaboration and partnership in distribution of ECD awareness and knowledge;- build community around the children first 2000 days networking opportunities for professionals and people engaged in ECD- learning opportunities for the Project participants as well as the Coalition members
Create a strong group of people engaged in ECD in deep south (professionals, caregivers, families) and South Network Night would be the time for sharing, learning, networking and supporting
LET’S PLAY Calgary south walking playground
NODDLE DO BOX
MEDIA STRATEGY: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
COALITION GROUP DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
GET IN TOUCH
Be active in the early years of your child and in the community!Be part of the group of parents, caregivers, professionals who take small steps to be engaged or If you would like to contribute to the Coalition or receive more information, please send us an email. We want to hear your opinion! Get in Touch with Your Local Coalition!